Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fall Leaf Mason Jar DIY


I knew wanted to do something with leaves as decoration in the house this fall, while at Michael's a week ago I bought fake leaf garland, but I wanted to do something DIY, so while I was at Wal-mart I found a whole bunch of leave bundles for just $3, so I picked up a huge bundle.

I decided I wanted to make some kind of candle holder, and again I had some mason jars that I picked up at the dollar store for $1 (obviously) that were not being used, so I thought this would be a cool project.

The materials you will need to make this are some fake leaves, or real leaves that are completely dried out and pressed, mason jar, mod podge, and sponge brush!
The firs thing I did was start cutting the leaves off the bundle, and then I actually removed all the fake stems from the leaves so it would make it easier to apply the leaves to the outside of the glass jar. The stems were actually a lot easier to remove than I initially thought, I thought the leaves would break but they are actually pretty good quality, not super thin.

Once you have all the stems off your leaves, you can just lay them all out and get your mod podge ready!
The first thing you want to do is layer a coat of mod podge all around the mason jar to get it sticky and ready to apply the leaves.
Start by sticking your first leave on, you may have to hold some of the corners down for a few seconds so they can begin to stick to the mod podge.
After you have let it set for a few mins, apply mod podge all over the first leave you did.
Do this all the way around, and just begin layer them, the particular leaves I got were very hard to stick to the jar, some stuck really good others would not set down, so I broke out the hot glue gun and began using this after a little while, it works the same way, you basically just want all the leaves down flat, so however you have to do this do it whatever way works for you!
I did 2 layers, since I didn't want it to be to opaque, because when I put a candle in the bottom I wanted the light to seep through the leaves and make a cool light effect

I thought this came out pretty cool, I want to make some more for the outside patio area on cool fall nights!

This post is linked up with the following Link Parties

2 comments:

  1. I really like this idea. I'm always looking for a quick, on-the-simple and not-too-expensive, project to complete with a little guy I mentor at school. We have 30 minutes a week and he really enjoys making crafts...lucky me! I think we'll be giving this one a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea. I bet it glows really pretty. Many of the teams that were invited (and event asked) to join the kickoff did not make it to the meeting. We then had to have several follow-up meetings.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs