Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY Paint Chip Dry Erase Board

I had really been wanting a dry erase board for awhile, and while I have had your typical dry erase board from target or wal-mart, I just really wanted something cute that I could actually want to use and have at my desk area! That's when I thought I would just make my own, so after running through some ideas I came up with using an old frame, and paint chip samples!

Materials Needed & Total Cost
1.Picture Frame (any size you want the dry erase board to be) ($1.99 at Goodwill)
2. Paint samples, you can get these for free anywhere that sells paint ($FREE)
3. Scrapbook paper unless you want to use the cardboard piece as the background. (Already had)
4. Scissors (Already had)
5. Hot Glue Gun (Already Had)
Total Cost of Project $1.99

The first thing I started out by doing was to cut my piece of scrapbook paper to the size of the cardboard back piece of the picture frame, I then hot glued the scrap book paper in place. Next I began laying out my paint chip samples how I wanted them to appear, I actually had to cut the last row off as they were to long, and I actually didn't need that many. You want to get at least 7 of these and make sure there are 6 sample colors on each so you have enough in case the first of the month starts on a Sunday you will have enough room to write the days!

After your done lining after up and have everything in place where you want it, just begin hot gluing the samples to the scrapbook paper.
Next step is to just place this back on top of the glass piece.

You will end up with something like there where you can write on because the glass acts as the dry erase board!
I decided to give my frame a coat of white paint, I went a little easy in some spots to give it a little bit of a distressed look!
I noticed I didn't really make room to write in the days, but you can always add them to your either by writing them in with your marker or adding more paint chip samples if you have a bigger frame, for now though I just added the first letter of each day in the little space, I was thinking about going back adding some small scrapbook letters that I have and writing the days in the little space I have available! What do you think?

This project was so simple, fun and super inexpensive, I love looking at the goodwill for frames, mine always has such a big selection and they are all usually under $5. With that frame I also picked up a cute white one for $.99, and a white mini picture with a quote that says live laugh love for only $.49!

I'm thinking about creating a little gallery wall at my desk space with those, if I do I will be sure to post about it!

What projects have you done lately? Have you ever thought to use paint chip samples in any of your projects?

This post is linked up to one or more of the following Link Parties

19 comments:

  1. Ashley, this is so clever! I'm so glad I found you on COM Monday and very glad to be your newest follower, I love your blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great way to re-use paint sample strips. I love it!
    I would love it if you'd link this post (and any other craft, DIY, recipe posts) to my blog hop. I'd love to see you there!
    http://carriethishome.com/2013/09/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-39/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too, too, too cute!! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea, soo genius!!!! you just inspired me !!!
    THANKS for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very clever! Love that you found another use for paint chips, LOL!
    I linked over from the Work It Wednesday Link Party where I am participating too and would love it if you'd stop by.
    Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I love basically free projects! Coming over from Give me the goods party!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I always have so many of those paint chip cards laying around. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/09/fridays-five-features-no-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute. Loved the way yours turned out. I recently did one of my own at the beginning of the year http://www.xoxorebecca.com/2012/12/paint-sample-dry-erase-calendar.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have stacks of paint samples laying around just because I love looking at all the colors. This is a great project to use them on. Thanks for sharing!

    Kelly J from Just Another Project

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you through mamamusing ! Just wanted to stop by and show some love! Very cute project.

    Kim from This Ole Mom
    http://thisolemom.BlogSpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, linking up for Saturday share. I just went through a planner/over organizing phrase with the start of the school year. What a great idea! I'm a calander freak (I have a little bit of an A type presonality) The writing on it will erase off the paint samples? I don't usually try diy projects but I may have to really try this one.
    Angela @ Time with A & N
    http://glennbabies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashley , as I told you before you totally inspired me
    Check this out!

    http://thesimplecraftdiaries.blogspot.ca/2013/09/thrifty-and-colourful-permanent-calendar.html

    THANKS AGAIN!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I love your creativity. Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so clever. I love the paint chip colors you chose too. I wanted to let you know I showcased this fun project on my ATTBH#9 Features post today. I hope you'll be back to link up again tonight. Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! I'd love to have you share your October organizing tips at my monthly Home Organization Ideas Link Party - it just opened!

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2013/11/home-organization-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs