Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paint Glass using Acrylic Paint

Before I even began this project I went to my trusty friend Google and simple typed in "can you paint glass with acrylic paint", and I read many reviews most going back and fourth saying yes and many saying no. I thought I would just give it a go and see how it turns out.

I got married a year ago, we bought some vases from Michael's to use for our center pieces, and I do use a few of them around the house I have a couple that were just put away out of sight and I thought I could use them for something, so on my next step to my laundry room update I wanted to paint these with the color theme of my laundry room, so that's what I set out to do!


My huaband bought with these paints not to long ago for a project, I'm not sure where he got them from but the brand is Apple Barrel (I've never heard of it). He probably got them at Wal-Mart. The paints didn't have any names but I just used a sea foam green, and a light blue.


I just poured some of my paint into a bowl and used a basic foam sponge to apply the paint to the glass vase.


This is what the vase looked like after 2 coats and bit streaky still, but the third coat did the trick no streaks or anything, you really just have to be patient make sure you wait till each coat dries to do your next coat other wise if you paint over semi dry paint it cane start to come off and get clumpy in spots.

If this happens what's nice about acrylic paint is you can just wash it right off for the most part, so I don't recommend doing this on something you are always going to be washing, or make sure you put on a hardener or sealer as a top coat. I'm just using these as decoration so I just stuck with just painting it and so far no chips or problems!


The Laundry room still has a way to go, but I'm currently working on adding some more elements and sprucing it up, I should have another update on where I'm at on it soon!

Have you painted glass with acrylic paint? Did it come out good?

I'm linking up with one or more of the following Link Parties

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I love painting the inside of vases or glass jars and have done them several times on my blog. Once the inside is painted they can't be used for flowers or anything wet but have a really pretty shine to them.

    By the way, did you know you have word verification on for comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors are so pretty! It's odd they didn't have names. I've got several apple barrel paints but they've all got names. I like how you've painted the outside unlike most other tutorials I've seen. I like the frosted/matte look it has that way. Best of luck with the laundry room! Ours is still out in the garage (like my grandparents! ha!) but hopefully one day it'll be inside and I can make it pretty like you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really pretty! I must try it!!


    Ayesha
    http://definingayesha.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun. We're (my sister and I) are so doing this!! Thanks for the inspiration. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinned also. Following on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and simple:) Visit my blog and see what you can do when painting glass..You are welcome!
    http://foryoubysonaj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing with us how the third coat was the charm! Your vases look really great but it's nice to know the paint could be washed off if needed. I need to work on my laundry room too. I saw your post over at Monday Funday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a fun quick idea to brighten up a couple of areas in my home. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! Thanks for posting on Craft Frenzy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out so well -who knew you could paint glass like that. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Work it Wednesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super cute!! I have a few of those just laying around that I want to go paint now!!!! Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The vases look great. Nice to know glass can be painted like this with acrylic. I read somewhere that acrylic paint once dry is waterproof.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs