Monday, August 12, 2013

Nail Polish Organization

I'm typically a pretty organized person I know where everything is because everything has a place. But, nail polish is something I have struggled with organizing for some time now, I have tried storing it every way you can imagine, but each way is not just right I can't see the colors or the area I have it does not hold all my nail polish (since I have somewhere around 70ish).

I was able to fit it all in my top desk drawer and then my collection began growing a little out of control, then I hung a shelve up in the bathroom that was an old thrift store find and that soon broke because it wasn't in as good of condition as I thought it was, good thing it was only a few dollars! So then I was pretty much out of ideas.

Until I came across the most ugly shelve thing I have even seen in my life at Goodwill, I don't know why I was so into picking this $2.99 piece up, I kept picking it up then putting it down until I got to the register and I just went for it! This thing was covered in felt that was super glued all over the wood, like I said not sure what I saw in this, but I knew some how I would make it work for my nail polish! So this is what I started with.

The first thing I did was remove all the shelves which was way harder than I thought, but I manged to get them all out. When I first picked this up from Goodwill, I thought the felt would be easier to get off, but like I said above whoever had this last super glued it on. I was determined to get it off, so I decided to let it soak in some very hot soapy water and waited about 20 mins, and to my surprise it came off very easily from the shelves. I did the same thing with the actual piece I put the whole thing in water and then I had to scrub to get all the green off the sides and back!


I painted the shelves with some Krylon Spray Paint I had left over from many projects, I swear these bottles last forever! The color is called Raspberry and I used a glossy spray paint, as for the outside on the shelve I used a wall paint color that I had left over from filling nail holes in the house, on the wood it came out more of a cream color which I liked.


Now it was just time to fill this bad boy with all my nail polishes so I got them all out and categorized them by brand and then within I categorized them by color. I think it makes it easier to find what your looking for especially if you know your nail polish, you pretty much know what you have.


Now time to see how it all came out with the nailpolish in place, I'm telling you I was a little skepitcal about the piece from the begining, even after all the paiting was done I still thought it wasn't perfect but I would give it a go and see how it would work out with all the hard work I put into it, and I actually really LOVE IT!

 
 
I do think it came out pretty amazing if I do say so myself, especially that hideous before picture! I'm so glad I took a chance, and just with a little scrubbing and paint, it came to be a cute nail polish organizer.

Linky up with Savvy Southern Style

15 comments:

  1. Wow, great job! I would have passed right by that ol' shelf and missed out on a treasure. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yah I know I kept putting it down and picking it back up my husband was like just get it, it's $2.99 so if anything we can just donate or or toss it!

      Delete
  2. Great cabinet and I love the new color. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing.http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/08/177th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE!!!! This would have been so much easier than making mine from scratch. I love it! And your nail polish collection....amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

    I'd love it if you would share this at my "That's My Style" Link party this Friday!

    www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and thanks for letting me know about your link party!

      Delete
  4. Wish I could find a shelf like this for my niece. You think it was a spice rack? Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I'm not sure what kind of shelf it could have been for, there were way more shelf's as you can see in the first picture so I'm not sure what could have stood up in there.

      Delete
  5. Looks great! Love what a little bit of paint can do! I would love to have you share at my link party and add it to your weekly party list! Following you on facebook!
    http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/08/homemade-by-you-63.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featuring today over on my blog! Thanks for linking up to {wow me} wednesday! :)

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea and so cute!! I am beginning to have the same problem with all my nail polish, haha! It's a good problem to have I suppose ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its such as you read my mind! You appear tο know so much approxіmatеly this, ѕuсh as yоu wrοte the book in itt or something.

    I feel that уou could ԁo with a few % to forcе the message hοmе a bit, but insteаd of that, that
    іѕ wonderful blog. A fаntastіc reаd.
    I will certainly be back.

    My wеbpage ... Runway Professional

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent pieces. Κeep wrіting suсh kind of
    іnfο onn yоur page. Im really impressed by yοur blog.

    Heyy thегe, Yοu've ρеrfοrmed an inсredible јob.
    І will definitely digg it and ρеrsοnally rеcommеnd
    to my fгіеnds. I am confident they will
    be bеnеfіted from thіs webѕite.


    Stoρ bу my site :: crystalizer Uv salon gel polish System

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs